2014 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe
Aggressive exterior styling, a reimagined interior and a suite of pioneering safety features help the two-door side of the E-Class family flex its already formidable muscles.
With its long history as the standard-bearer for innovative luxury, any new iteration of the E-Class has some big shoes to fill: its own. But with sharper lines, a new cabin and technology that redefines what automobiles are capable of, the redesigned 2014 E-Class fills those shoes, and then some. In the case of the E-Class Coupe and Cabriolet, the result is a head-turning pair of road-loving siblings that make each moment behind the wheel more rewarding than ever before.
Balancing a windswept profile with a wide, muscular stance, the redesigned 2014 E-Class Coupe and Cabriolet announce their presence with a freshly honed front-end featuring an new, single-rib front grille with central Three-Pointed Star. On either side, sleek new single-unit headlamps shine bright with LED technology in the main beams, as well as in the integrated Daytime Running Lights. Below, enlarged air intakes on the commanding front apron add an extra dose of aesthetic aggression. At the rear, newly chiseled rear fenders lead into sharper wraparound LED taillamps, with a wholly re-sculpted rear bumper completing the seductive package.
In turn, the already exquisite four-passenger E-Class cabin has been reimagined to provide an even more appealing combination of sophisticated form and cutting-edge function. A new three-tube instrument cluster and finely crafted analog clock adorn the richly grained dashboard. The gearshift moves to the steering column, making for extra storage the redesigned center console -- which now flows virtually uninterrupted from the dashboard to the rear between the signature sport seats with integrated head restraints.
Continuing to provide the spark for the E-Class Coupe and Cabriolet are advanced Direct Injection V-6 and twin-turbo V-8 engines that pack a powerful punch more cleanly, efficiently and quickly. Refined and channeled and through the silky Mercedes-Benz 7-speed automatic transmission, their muscle works in concert with sophisticated AGILITY CONTROL ® and sport-tuned Dynamic Handling suspensions to respond instantly to a driver's wishes -- while also adjusting to the demands of the asphalt beneath. Available 4MATIC ® all-wheel drive in the redesigned 2014 E350 Coupe adds even more confidence and control, no matter what conditions await.
For all their enthusiasm for the open road, no coupe or cabriolet bearing the Three-Pointed Star is complete without an uncompromising approach to safety. Standard equipment on the redesigned 2014 E-Class are the next generation of our ATTENTION ASSIST ® driver-drowsiness monitor and our new PRE-SAFE ® PLUS technology that adds rear-collision preparation to our landmark anticipatory occupant protection system. Accompanying Active Blind Spot Assist and Active Lane Keeping Assist in the available Driver Assistance Package is DISTRONIC PLUS ® with Steering Assist -- an enhanced version of our radar-guided cruise control technology that can not only help you maintain a safe distance from other vehicles across a full 360° range, but also employ targeted braking to help you avoid a potential collision. Additional new safety technology includes an enhanced combination of BAS ® PLUS and PRE-SAFE ® Brake, now with Cross-Traffic Assist and Pedestrian Detection features to help avoid or lessen the impact of collisions at intersections with vehicles and people crossing the street, respectively.
In short, the redesigned 2014 E-Class Coupes and Cabriolets offer more than the alluring style of chiseled new exterior styling and a reimagined cabin. They provide true substance in the form of class-leading innovation that sets new standards in automotive safety. But just as important, this sporty side of the E-Class family continues to deliver the kind of performance that makes every mile one to remember.
- New exterior styling, with more aggressive lines and single-rib front sports grille
- New LED headlamps with integrated LED Daytime Running Lamps, and new LED taillamps
- New interior featuring a redesigned dashboard and gauges, plus new upholstery colors and combinations
- Advanced 7-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters
- Sophisticated AGILITY CONTROL ® and sport-tuned Dynamic Handling suspensions
- Available 4MATIC ® all-wheel-drive technology
- Next-generation ATTENTION ASSIST ® driver drowsiness monitor
- New PRE-SAFE ® PLUS for added protection in rear-end collisions
- Optional Driver Assistance Package featuring DISTRONIC PLUS ® adaptive cruise control with Steering Assist and PRE-SAFE ® Brake, plus Active Blind Spot Assist and Active Lane Keeping Assist
- Available PARKTRONIC with enhanced Active Parking Assist
2013 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe
the Mercedes-Benz E-Class is offered in four body styles and a choice of engines, including diesel and hybrid drivetrains. Rear - and all-wheel-drive versions are offered, as is a high-performance E63 AMG ® edition. Depending on the body style, the E-Class seats four to seven people. Competitors include the BMW 5 Series, Audi A6 and Infiniti M.
New for 2013
The biggest news for 2013 is the introduction of a hybrid version of the E-Class. Powered by a 302-horsepower, 3.5-liter V-6 and a 27-hp electric motor, the E400 Hybrid is expected to get an estimated 24/31 mpg city/highway.
Meanwhile, all E-Class coupes and convertibles gain heated front seats, electromechanical power steering, mbrace2 ™ telematics and wheel upgrades. The sedan and wagon also come with mbrace2 ™ standard.
The E-Class headlights have slot-like inboard bezels, while the outboard portions resemble those on the C-Class. Eyebrow-like fog lights sit in the three-piece lower air dam. In comparison, the taillights are much more reserved. The E350 has oval exhaust pipes, and the E550's are trapezoidal. Exterior features include:
- Standard 17-inch alloy wheels
- Standard LED daytime running lights
- Optional adaptive xenon headlights
- Rear air suspension on wagon
- Standard power tilt/sliding sunroof
All E-Class models feature the Mercedes-Benz knob-based COMAND ® interface that includes primary controls at hip level, ahead of the center armrest, like the systems in the C-Class and flagship S-Class. The E-Class has the new Mercedes-Benz mbrace2 ™ communication system that includes the ability to connect the car with a smartphone. Interior features include:
- Wagon has seven-seat capacity with standard rear-facing third row and power tailgate
- Optional heated and ventilated front seats
- Optional leather upholstery
- Optional massaging, bolster-adjustable seats
- Optional tri-zone automatic climate control
Under the Hood
The available adaptive suspension alters shock-absorber settings to react to changing road conditions. The available AIRMATIC ® air suspension includes driver-adjustable Comfort and Sport settings. Mechanical features include:
- 210-hp, turbocharged 3.0-liter diesel V-6 (E350 BlueTEC ® )
- 302-hp, 3.5-liter V-6 (E350)
- 302-hp, 3.5-liter V-6 with 27-hp electric motor (E400 Hybrid)
- 402-hp, 4.6-liter V-8 (E550)
- 518-hp, 5.5-liter V-8 (E63 AMG ®. 550 hp with optional Performance Package)
- Seven-speed automatic transmission for all models
Besides antilock brakes, traction control and an electronic stability system, the E-Class has nine standard airbags. the Mercedes-Benz PRE-SAFE ® system is also standard; it cinches seat belts, repositions seats and attempts to close the windows and moonroof if it senses an imminent accident. Additional safety features include:
- Standard ATTENTION ASSIST ® system measures steering behavior and other parameters to sense driver fatigue
- Optional automatic high-beam headlights
- Optional blind spot and lane departure warning systems
- Optional night vision system
Click here to view our Mercedes-Benz E-Class inventory.
Review information provided by www. cars. com